Thursday, March 29, 2007

Teaching Tunes

I think I'm an OK teacher. Probably not great, but not terrible either. I hedge my bets, though, by trying to maintain a good rapport with the students. They may not learn anything while I'm with them but, damn it, they'll like me... they'll really like me!

So, I try to be the cool teacher. It's not just that I'm laid back -I am, but that's only because I haven't yet found that confrontational bone. I try to do things that will make class a little less tedious, like bringing to the class the sweet sweet sound of English language music.

Everything is permissible, of course, but not everything is beneficial. I try to find some pedagogical justification for rockin' out in class. Last night, I was reviewing conditionals - you know: if... then.. statements. If you're like most people, you just say them without knowing what they are called. Some examples:

1st Cond: If I don't go to work, I will get fired. (If + present tense... future tense)
Used when talking about probable consequences.
2nd Cond: If I got fired, I would piss on the photocopy paper. (If + past simple... would+infinitive)
Used when talking about hypothetical or improbable situations.
3rd Cond: If I hadn't come to Moscow, I wouldn't have known all this crap. (If + past perfect... would + present perfect)
Used when talking about actions that were possible in the past.

So, the play list I have come up with is this:

For 1st conditionals: Led Zeppelin When the Levee Breaks

If it keeps on rainin', the levee's goin' to break,
When The Levee Breaks I'll have no place to stay.
For 2nd conditionals: Lyle Lovett If I Had a Boat
If I had a boat I'd go out on the ocean
And if I had a pony I'd ride him on my boat
And we could all together go out on the ocean
Me upon my pony on my boat.
The problem is, dear readers, I can't think of a song for 3rd conditional. Any suggestions?

blog comments powered by Disqus