Saturday, March 17, 2007

My Flat

Language Link is a British institution, and I, wouldn't you know it, teach British English. Having lived there for a year, this isn't really a problem: the difference really only entails a slightly different vocabulary and some very subtle grammar nuances.

Some of the differences I like. Lazy speaker that I am, I will always prefer to say anything in as few syllables as possible. Therefore, I am quite keen on using the succinct 'flat' over the longer and more cumbersome American version 'apartment.'

Other differences I like include: 'Ginger' to refer to those of us whose hair color is similar to that of a carrot, rather than the inaccurate 'red-head;' and 'boot' to refer to that part of a car which we store things for transport -- i.e. the trunk -- seems much more fitting for some reason that I can't quite explain.

In other differences American English is clearly superior. One erases pencil marks with an Eraser... the damn British would have you believe that you use a prophylactic. And I must count any language an impoverished one that doesn't include such wonderful euphemisms as: 'Sticking it to The Man.'

Anyway, my intention was to post pictures of my modest abode. And here they are:





blog comments powered by Disqus