Tuesday, April 17, 2007

What Ever Happened to Peter?

Oh, he got caught up in the fast-paced, high-stakes world of English language teaching. He doesn't come around much anymore.

Not really... but sort of. Fast-paced it certainly is, flying around from office to office on the sardine can that is the Moscow Metro. And high-stakes? 'High,' of course, is relative. But it can be pretty damn relative when you get yourself some oligarchs to teach.

Since I am technically in an 'internship,' my company requires that every three months I do a project, upon which my quarterly pay raise is contingent. My first one is due this Friday. I plan to do it, of course, and do my best. But it is really hard to take the whole thing seriously when I make more money for talking to my oligarch for an hour and a half about his natural gas fields, than my entire monthly pay raise will give me.

blog comments powered by Disqus